Check back in Fall 2013
- A competition in which 20 teams of college and university students competed to design, build, and operate the most attractive, effective, and energy-efficient solar-powered house. The Solar Decathlon also enabled the public to observe the powerful combination of solar energy, energy efficiency, and the best in home design.
Solar Demonstration for Verengo Solar
- ESW has partnered with Verengo Solar and SunTech to design and build a portable solar cart. This functioning cart will be used at Verengo Solar events to educate people on how solar panels work. The cart will have fiber optics, display monitor and a charging station. The cart is even equipped with a robot that people can control! All solar powered!
Beach Clean Up
- Organized several times a year with the Caltech Y, Caltech ESW members and other members of the Caltech community dedicate a day to help clean up nearby beaches such as Huntington Beach or Redondo Beach.
Saturday, Jun 25 CBeach Clean Up at Redondo Beach
Saturday, Apr 9 Caltech Y Make-a-Difference-Day Beach Clean Up at Huntington Beach
- Thursday, May 5 John Dabiri - Field Laboratory for Optimized Wind Energy
- Thursday, Apr 7 Harry Atwater - Solar panels
- Tuesday, Feb 22 Sossina Haile - Fuel Cells
Monday, Apr 23 ESW hosted a booth at Earth Day Club Fair
Monday, Apr 19 Jeff Reed, director of emerging technologies at Sempra Energy, speaking on Smart Grids, Smart Homes, Renewable Natural Gas, Fuel Cells, and other emerging technologies
Friday, Apr 16 ESW hosted a booth at Pre-Frosh Club Fair
Saturaday, Apr 10 ESW hosted a site at Environmentally Chartered High School for "Make a difference day"
Thursday, Mar 11 Dr. Eduardo Anorga talked about his riveting experiences as a relief doctor in Haiti
Solar Decathlon lecture series:
- Tuesday, Jan 26 John Onderdonk - Commercial sustainable building technologies, examples at Caltech
- Wednesday, Jan 27 Harry Atwater - Solar panels
- Thursday, Jan 28 Nate Lewis - Batteries and other energy storage
- Friday, Jan 29 Christopher Clark (SCE engineer)
- Friday, Jan 29 Joe Shepherd - Overview of energy technologies
- Monday, Feb 1 SCI-ARC and Caltech student Seminar
- Monday, Feb 1 Melany Hunt - Heat loss from a building, insulation, windows, etc
- Wednesday, Feb 3 Ken Pickar - Engineering Design Process
- Wednesday, Feb 3 Mike Pauken - HVAC, water heating, etc
Wednesday, Dec 2 A group meeting about Caltech's entry in the 2011 Solar Decathlon competition
Tuesday, Nov 17 Adlai Wertman, Professor at USC's Marshall School of Business, speaking on social entrepreneurship
Monday, Nov 9 Sossina M. Haile, a Caltech Professor of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering, speaking on solid state fuel cell
Saturday, Nov 7 Meeting with Julie Chow, the Executive Director of ESW national team, and also the ESW club leaders in Harvey Mudd College
Thursday, Oct 22 Richard Nelson speaking on biodiesel, followed by a tour of Caltech's biodiesel facilities
Saturday, Oct 10 ESW kickoff and social mixer
Tuesday, Oct 6 ESW's first meeting in 2009
Saturday, Sept 26 ESW at Caltech Club Fair
Friday, April 21 ESW table at Caltech Earth Day Fair
Tuesday April 18 The first Caltech Alternative Career Fair.
- Dr. Jerry Houser, Director of Career Development Center
- Bharat Patel, Chair of US Green Building Council LA
- Parth Venkat, growingTheWorld.org
- Dr. Martha Kirouac, Huntington Library
- Maggie McConnell, Poverty Action Lab
- Dr. Sanza T. Kazadi, Jisan Research Institute
- Erika Li, CAPSI Research Group
Friday, Feb 17 Dinner at Mo’s: Alternative Career Organizer & ESW social
Thursday, Jan 26 Registation and volunteer drive for Spring Alternative Career Fair at the Career Fair
Friday, Jan 13 ESE & Society Discussion: Alice Sterling, a Senior Project Manager for the City of Pasadena. She will be leading the discussion on "/Pasadena's Green Building Program/".
Thursday Dec 1 Talk: Ben Linder (Olin College), "Designing Products for Humanitarian Demining: Countering the effects of conflict to save lives" (Flyer)
Friday Nov 18 Tabling at Caltech's International Resource Fair
Thursday Nov 17 Talk: Michael Rosberg from the University of Belize (Flyer)
Thursday Nov 10 Talk: Amy Smith from MIT (Flyer)
Thursday Nov 3 Talk: Joel Segre from Project Impact
Wednesday Aug 31: Informational session on building a biodiesel reactor on campus.
Tuesday May 17: Prof. Thayer Scudder discussed his new book, The Future of Large Dams.
Thursday May 5: Informational session on Caltech participation in the National Academy of Engineering's Grainger Challenge to develop a water arsenic-decontamination system.
Saturday Apr 9: Tour of the Los Angeles Eco-Village.
Tuesday March 8: Presentation by Jules Dervaes, Path to Freedom.
Thursday Feb 24: Tour of UCSB's Donald Bren Hall, "the greenest laboratory building in the United States", and of Patagonia’s secondary headquarters. Tour in collaboration with ArtCenter College of Design.
Tuesday Feb 1: Catharine Stebbins presented her work with Prof. Kerry Sieh doing educational outreach on earthquakes and tsunamis to villages in Indonesia. Here is an article from the Washington Post about it.
Tuesday Jan 25: Screening of The End of Suburbia.
Thursday Jan 20: Presentation of the Award for Best Paper in E/ME 105 (“Team Cholera Treatments Worldwide? Fabien Nicaise, Chris Rusay, and Chen-Zhe Wang), and installation of all project posters in the Thomas Building.
Fall 2004: E105: Engineering Design of Products - Caltech class with Prof. Ken Pickar in collaboration with ESW-CIT.
We also have streaming video of the E/ME 105 presentations through our website! http://esw.caltech.edu/ME105_2004_video.htm
Tuesday, November 9: Speaker, Michael Rosberg University of Belize and Galen University, Belize
Thursday, November 4: Speaker, David Kaisel, Sustainable Sciences Institute
Thursday, October 7: Speaker, David Irvine-Halliday, Light Up The World
Thursday, September 30 - Saturday, October 2: Solutions for a Shrinking Planet - ESW National Conference
Wednesday, May 12: Speaker, Adrian Hightower, Enhanced Energy Foundation
Thursday, April 8: Film screening and discussion, "Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh."
Thursday, February 26: Speaker, Tim Prestero, Design that Matters
Thursday, January 29: Film screening and discussion, "Bread and Roses," 8:00PM in the North Catalina rec room.